The first catholic church in Bečej was built in 1763. Today's church dedicated to the Assumption was built in its place in 1830. The object of today's church dates from 1830. Before that, in the same place, there was the first catholic church built of adobe covered with thatch in 1763. In 1786 the church was pulled down and a new one with the tower was built in the same place. Today's shape of the church was formed in 1887 with the dimensions 48,7 x 17 m. The tower was added in 1923. The stained glass windows were made by Kratzman Ede in 1892.
Initially it was built in the style of early classicism, and later it became a mixture of various architectural styles. The interior of the church is richly decorated with the ornaments in baroque style.
The painting »The Ascension of the Mother of God«, which is placed on the altar, was painted by the Bečej painter Mor Tan.